Store employee shot while confronting suspected thief | Crime
OKLAHOMA CITY – A store employee was shot by a man trying to steal an ATV, according to Oklahoma City Police.
Officers responded to JRT Cycle near S.W. 29th St. and Agnew Tuesday night.
Oklahoma City Police told News Channel 4 the employee confronted the suspect.
Lt. Jeff Cooper said the altercation turned physical and the suspect pulled a gun.
“He went outside and saw a subject on one of the four-wheelers trying to steal it,” Lt. Cooper said. “The employee confronted the suspect and a fight ensued. During the fight, the suspect pulled a gun and shot the employee.”
The employee was transported to the hospital.
Investigators located a man in a nearby neighborhood who matched the description of the suspect.
A neighbor told police the man was looking for a house to hide.
Police arrested 27-year-old Michael Ruoff on a charge of assault with a deadly weapon.
Investigators have not recovered the gun used in the shooting.
Upcoming Events near Oklahoma County
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Oklahoma Blood Institute declares blood emergency across state
- Winter weather advisory canceled, state still seeing record cold temperatures
- Oklahoma Snow Routes: Roads cleared for travel in winter weather
- Prevent pipes from freezing in predicted frigid winter weather
- Second round of snow on the way late tonight into early Friday
- Doctors, businesses prepare for winter-related injuries across metro area
- UPDATE: FBI arrests woman accused of robbing local bank
- Medics respond to car accidents, slips and falls related to ice storm
- EMSA urging safety for kids sledding in record low temperatures
- Tips to make sure you don’t struggle while shoveling snow