Suspect tries to run over bail bondsman | Crime
OKLAHOMA CITY – Oklahoma City police are searching for a suspect who allegedly tried to run over his bail bondsman Wednesday.
It happened around 11:30 a.m. at the Bel Aire Hotel at 3305 S.W. 29th St.
Bobby and Jessica Hawkins are a father, daughter bail bondsman team.
They went to the Bel Aire Hotel Wednesday morning looking for a suspect who had not shown up for court that morning.
“He missed court this morning, was supposed to be in court at 9 a.m.,” Bobby Hawkins said. “We approached and knocked on the door. He opened the door, saw who it was and slams the door in our face.”
Hawkins said the suspect then charged past them out of his room and got into his truck.
“I start running way from the truck,” he said. “He throws it in reverse and floor-boards it, comes back, knocks me down with the truck.”
The suspect then started backing up his truck straight at Hawkins’ daughter, Jessica.
“That’s scary coming back at you like that so I just moved out of the way, fired one round trying to stop him,” Jessica Hawkins said.
Her shot hit the driver’s side window and the suspect continued backing up for several hundred feet down S.W. 29th St. and then he took off.
“I’ve bonded him several times, picked him up before and returned him to custody,” Bobby said. “I’ve bonded him back out. He knows who I am. I know who he is.”
The Hawkins have been in their line of business for several years.
They said this is definitely the most resistant a suspect has ever been.
“Some of them get kind of rowdy but eventually they’re like, you know, we’ll surrender,” Jessica Hawkins said.
“Not like this,” Bobby said. “It got kind of hairy for a minute but everybody’s all right.”
Police have not officially released the suspect’s name but the Hawkins identified him as 46-year-old Richard Johnson.
Upcoming Events near Oklahoma County
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Icy roads help deputies stop 10 pounds of meth from reaching Bethany
- UPDATE: OHP dash cam video a step closer to being public, beaten deaf man in court tomorrow
- New social media drill, weather service to test reach of severe weather updates
- Man at OKC gun show caught selling weapons after felony conviction
- Prices at the pump jump across Oklahoma, could continue to rise
- Storm stranded cars bring big bucks to local business
- Alleged thief tunnels through walls to burglarize several businesses
- New face coming to the Oklahoma City Thunder before tonight’s game
- Naked, growling man allegedly assaults father and police
- Oklahoma man arrested, accused of going to mailbox naked, lewd acts in front yard with boy