OKC man arrested for sexual relationship with 13-year-old girl | Crime
OKLAHOMA CITY — A 22-year-old Oklahoma City man is behind bars accused of rape.
The man is accused of having a lengthy ongoing sexual relationship with a 13-year-old girl.
The investigation began when the victim’s grandmother called police earlier this week.
The victim had been living with the suspect for several months.
As so many cases do, this one starts online.
The 22-year-old man meets a girl claiming to be 19.
“She told him she was 19. Her online profile said she was 19years old. He said he had every reason to believe she was 19 years old,” Oklahoma City police MSgt. Gary Knight said.
Eight months ago the pair moved in together in a northwest Oklahoma City home.
Police reports show the girl recently got tired of lying about her age and confessed to the suspect, identified as Chaseton Cox, that she’s actually underage.
“Apparently she just recently confessed that she was 15. As it turns out she is really 13,” Knight said.
Police said even if Cox believed the girl to be of legal age, that doesn’t let him off the hook.
“Ignorance of the law is no excuse,” Knight said. “If you’re going to move in with a girl who appears to be 13, the duty is on you to check that.”
The suspect remains behind bars in the Oklahoma County jail.
He’s being held on a $50,000 bond.
Upcoming Events near Oklahoma County
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Allergy Alert: Cedar pollen very high, sufferers should just stay indoors
- Oklahoma Rep. authors bill warning of dangers of tongue piercing
- Put aside winter blues, temps soaring to the upper 70′s tomorrow, but fire danger high
- Cholesterol lowering drug being recalled for second time in two years
- Tornado, severe weather safety tips for drivers
- FIRES: Wildfires are sparking across the metro, crews stressing caution during high fire danger
- Temperatures below -200 degrees freezing pain away, boosting energy in new technique
- UPDATE: Crews find body investigating carbon monoxide leak at home in northwest Oklahoma City
- Judge denies stay of execution for inmates questioning lethal injection drug
- Storm stranded cars bring big bucks to local business