One dead after apartment shooting | News
OKLAHOMA CITY – One person is dead and another has been transported to an area hospital after shots rang out Thursday evening at the Country Club Apartments.
Police were on scene for hours gathering evidence and talking to residents.
Darlene Herrell thought she heard fireworks. “It was like pop, pop, pop, six to eight times and I thought that meant that there were some nice fireworks being set off,” Herrell said.
But she was terribly wrong.
“A friend of mine said no those are gun shots,” Herrell said. “Then about ten minutes later the police and the ambulance came. I just started tripping out a little bit.”
Lt. Taylor Dinh with Oklahoma City Police said, “When we arrived we found one person deceased and other taken to the hospital.”
Elwyn Nelson heard six gun shots.
“I looked out my screen door and I saw one guy running away from the area,” Nelson said. “Then I looked out my front door and I saw three guys run out of the car yelling at each other to grab their backpacks. Then they ran back to the car.”
Police tell us they are working to confirm the number of suspects and their identities. No word on the condition of the other victim.
Upcoming Events near Oklahoma County
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Oklahoma Blood Institute declares blood emergency across state
- UPDATE: Winter weather advisory canceled, state still seeing record cold temperatures
- Oklahoma Snow Routes: Roads cleared for travel in winter weather
- Prevent pipes from freezing in predicted frigid winter weather
- Second round of snow on the way late tonight into early Friday
- FBI searching for woman accused of robbing local bank
- Medics respond to car accidents, slips and falls related to ice storm
- Tips to make sure you don’t struggle while shoveling snow
- Body discovered in north OKC, man likely died of exposure
- Will Rogers: Passengers dealing with some delays, cancellations are expected on Friday