One dead after apartment shooting | News
OKLAHOMA CITY – One person is dead and another has been transported to an area hospital after shots rang out Thursday evening at the Country Club Apartments.
Police were on scene for hours gathering evidence and talking to residents.
Darlene Herrell thought she heard fireworks. “It was like pop, pop, pop, six to eight times and I thought that meant that there were some nice fireworks being set off,” Herrell said.
But she was terribly wrong.
“A friend of mine said no those are gun shots,” Herrell said. “Then about ten minutes later the police and the ambulance came. I just started tripping out a little bit.”
Lt. Taylor Dinh with Oklahoma City Police said, “When we arrived we found one person deceased and other taken to the hospital.”
Elwyn Nelson heard six gun shots.
“I looked out my screen door and I saw one guy running away from the area,” Nelson said. “Then I looked out my front door and I saw three guys run out of the car yelling at each other to grab their backpacks. Then they ran back to the car.”
Police tell us they are working to confirm the number of suspects and their identities. No word on the condition of the other victim.
Upcoming Events near Oklahoma County
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Put aside winter blues, temps soaring to the upper 70′s tomorrow, but fire danger high
- Cholesterol lowering drug being recalled for second time in two years
- Tornado, severe weather safety tips for drivers
- Get rid of hazardous waste for free
- UPDATE: Pinned driver is ‘awake and alert’ after freed from semi rollover accident outside of Oklahoma City
- Temperatures below -200 degrees freezing pain away, boosting energy in new technique
- UPDATE: Crews find body investigating carbon monoxide leak at home in northwest Oklahoma City
- Judge denies stay of execution for inmates questioning lethal injection drug
- Storm stranded cars bring big bucks to local business
- Alleged thief tunnels through walls to burglarize several businesses