New south OKC library opened | News
OKLAHOMA CITY – A new library opened for business Monday in southwest Oklahoma City.
The Almonte library welcomed readers to the new location on S.W. 59th St.
It’s an interesting story how this library actually came to be.
When the Southern Oaks library along S. Walker was being renovated, its services were moved to a temporary location at the Almonte Shopping Center.
People got so attached to it, they asked the city to keep it open.
During that renovation time, which was about 10 months, some 5,600 library cards were issued.
Library officials said they had no idea how undeserved the area was.
The new Almonte library will be a full service location with 18 computers, free WIFI and more than a million books, DVDs, CDs, and magazines.
Upcoming Events near Oklahoma County
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Authorties unveil massive Oklahoma crime ring
- Oklahoma educators and lawmakers disagree over banning social study testing
- ‘That is disappointing,’ State leaders split over bill that bans cities from setting their own minimum wage
- ‘Bill of Rights’ gives some Oklahoma parents final say on child’s upbringing, but not everyone
- Hungry? Local restaurants offer freebies, discounts today for Tax Day
- Oklahoma City post office extend hours for last minute tax filing
- Authorities asking for help identifying suspect who allegedly robbed two convenience stores
- Battle lines drawn over smart meter safety
- Defense attorney still concerned with execution drugs
- Metro’s public transportation to receive makeover