New south OKC library opened | News
OKLAHOMA CITY – A new library opened for business Monday in southwest Oklahoma City.
The Almonte library welcomed readers to the new location on S.W. 59th St.
It’s an interesting story how this library actually came to be.
When the Southern Oaks library along S. Walker was being renovated, its services were moved to a temporary location at the Almonte Shopping Center.
People got so attached to it, they asked the city to keep it open.
During that renovation time, which was about 10 months, some 5,600 library cards were issued.
Library officials said they had no idea how undeserved the area was.
The new Almonte library will be a full service location with 18 computers, free WIFI and more than a million books, DVDs, CDs, and magazines.
Upcoming Events near Oklahoma County
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Allergy Alert: Cedar pollen very high, sufferers should just stay indoors
- Oklahoma Rep. authors bill warning of dangers of tongue piercing
- Put aside winter blues, temps soaring to the upper 70′s tomorrow, but fire danger high
- Cholesterol lowering drug being recalled for second time in two years
- Tornado, severe weather safety tips for drivers
- FIRES: Wildfires are sparking across the metro, crews stressing caution during high fire danger
- Temperatures below -200 degrees freezing pain away, boosting energy in new technique
- UPDATE: Crews find body investigating carbon monoxide leak at home in northwest Oklahoma City
- Judge denies stay of execution for inmates questioning lethal injection drug
- Storm stranded cars bring big bucks to local business