Cigarette to blame for early morning fire | News
OKLAHOMA CITY—Firefighters say a cigarette is to blame for an early morning house fire on the city’s southwest side Tuesday.
Fire crews rushed to a home in the 2600 block of S.W. 38th St. just after 3 a.m.
When they arrived, flames were shooting from a downstairs window of the home.
Officials say one man was inside at the time the blaze began.
Firefighters believe the fire may have sparked after the man fell asleep with a lit cigarette.
The resident told authorities when he woke up, the house was full of smoke.
Fortunately, no one was injured in the fire.
Authorities estimate the damage at around $15,000.
Upcoming Events near Oklahoma County
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Road conditions: Highways mostly clear, side streets still covered in ice
- Icy dangers for children playing outside near ponds during snow days
- Oklahoma’s Kings of Leon returning to Sooner State, BOK Center April 2014
- Gas prices on the rise, Oklahoma still has some of lowest in the nation
- State lawmaker working to enact controversial ‘Merry Christmas’ bill today
- Medical Examiner confirms now 8 weather-related deaths in Oklahoma
- Kids out of school again? Check out OKC Zoo’s indoor safari today
- Footprints in snow lead deputies to Oklahoma City Christmas capers, granola Grinches
- Police investigate Capitol Hill teacher accused of sexual misconduct, no arrests have been made
- Winter weather still affecting flights at Will Rogers World Airport; Runways open but check flights before going