UPDATE: Supreme Court rules to send baby Veronica back to adoptive family | News
UPDATE: The U.S. Supreme Court has ruled against the 1978 Federal Indian Child Welfare Act and will send baby Veronica back to her adoptive family in South Carolina.
Veronica was born in Oklahoma but her parents put her up for adoption shortly after birth and she was raised by the South Carolina family.
Veronica’s biological father used his status as a Cherokee Indian to challenge the adoption to try to get his daughter back two years after her adoption to a non-indian couple from South Carolina.
According to the Indian Child Welfare Act, a federal law from 1978, as long as the tribe considers you a member they have a voice in your adoption.
WASHINGTON – The nation’s high court is expected to make a decision on the custody battle for a 3-year-old Oklahoma girl.
Baby Veronica was put up for adoption by her mother shortly after she was born and a South Carolina couple adopted her.
Veronica’s biological father, Dusten Brown, learned of the adoption and challenged it.
The family court and the South Carolina Supreme Court ruled in favor of Brown.
The case concerning the 1978 Federal Indian Child Welfare Act is now an issue at the hands of the U.S. Supreme Court.
The case was passed over by the high court Monday but a ruling is expected sometime this week.
Upcoming Events near Oklahoma County
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Get rid of hazardous waste for free
- UPDATE: Pinned driver is ‘awake and alert’ after freed from semi rollover accident outside of Oklahoma City
- Don’t forget to change your clocks!
- Frugal Friday: Free exercise classes, free hazardous waste dump & spring celebrations
- Icy roads help deputies stop 10 pounds of meth from reaching Bethany
- Storm stranded cars bring big bucks to local business
- Alleged thief tunnels through walls to burglarize several businesses
- New face coming to the Oklahoma City Thunder before tonight’s game
- Naked, growling man allegedly assaults father and police
- Oklahoma man arrested, accused of going to mailbox naked, lewd acts in front yard with boy